Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A New Year, A New Website

I'm a tinker. Reiterating all the way back from my first blog post, I like to toy with my website here and there. Do touch-ups where and when necessary. My goal being to make my little home on the web (a necessity for any writer/author these days) as efficient and easy on the eyes as possible. I never want it to look congested or too busy. And I only want to put up what information is relevant.

I think I've succeeded.

I was even able to add a few flashy effects here and there (mostly in page transitions, which I didn't feel was too bothersome nor detracted from the subject matter of the site - I am a writer after all, not a special effects wizard).

But a little while ago I discovered a problem. The company that I built my website through (Wix) uses Adobe Flash to make all those nice effects happen on the page. The problem with Flash is that many mobile and portable devices (your iPhones, iPads, and other tablets) don't support it. If you tried to visit my website on a mobile device you would get a message that your Flash player needed updating in order to view it (ironic, in a way). Thus we circle back to the original problem.

Being that most young adults (the direct audience for my upcoming book) and even adults (always an audience for my work) mostly use their phones and tablets to surf the web (meaning fewer of them use desktops or even laptops anymore unless for work-related purposes), my website would have remained invisible to them.

I couldn't have that. It just wouldn't be smart of me to remain with a Flash site.

Fortunately, my site provider Wix had an alternative website tool and I was able to build a "normal" html-based site, shift my domain over, and now all of it is live! You may even be viewing this on your iPad.

Granted, I'm still tinkering (trying to make the mobile version a little more attractive, or even just taking the mobile version away completely and having all devices point right to the main website page if I can). Point is, the site's up now, for everyone to see.

And, for me, that's one step toward having a stress free beginning to the New Year. One less thing to worry about.

Time to go put on the annual Twilight Zone marathon!

See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment