Thursday, March 6, 2014

Reveal: Seeing

Yes! Today's the day, friends. Today my publisher, Winter Goose, made a huge three-part announcement regarding my first novel, Seeing. Stick with me as I joy all over this blog entry, breaking down each portion of today's announcement.

(Let it be known that whilst I type this, Pharrell Williams's Happy song is playing on endless repeat.)

Part 1: The Cover
Perhaps the biggest (literally) part of WGP's press release regarding Seeing was the reveal of the cover art.



What I love about the art is that it's so simple, so bright, and conveys (teases) so much about the possibilities of the story. I was very fortunate to have a say in the art - many authors are just shown the art and told what their cover will be.

Originally I went a completely different way but found my early designs, simple in my mind, made the available space much too busy. Winter Goose humored me and came up with concepts that matched the descriptions I gave, but I came around to something much more elegant and simple. Something that plays more on the imagination than something too explicit. I love this image and haven't stopped looking at it since I first saw it and knew right away it would be the cover.

Part 2: The Blurb
It's not easy to create, in just a few paragraphs, what has to be the perfect, tantalizing preview that sums up the theme of a book without spoiling any of the intricate details. You want the blurb to be the pitch to the possible reader. The blurb must engage them and make them decide if what their holding is worth the emotional and monetary investment. You can decide it for yourself, with Seeing's blurb:

The extraordinary is all around us.

After enduring a difficult year that began with his father unexpectedly walking out on the family, thirteen-year-old Jake Sheppard finds himself at a loss for hope. When his live-in grandfather shares a deeply personal and rather unbelievable bedtime story, the impossibility of the tale's events spark an interest in Jake to determine its authenticity.

Embarking on a personal journey for the truth leads Jake to a discovery that not only changes his life, but the way he sees the world, forever.

Part 3: The Release Date
Since I first put mention of Seeing's publication up on my website, I've had the release earmarked as, simply, spring 2014. That's all that's been known. Friends and family have asked about when the book would be out, perhaps thinking I knew more than I was telling, but I didn't. Till now.

May

There's no specific day in May, yet, but May is only two months away. Two months! As we get closer to the date, I'm sure I'll have more information to share. For now this is it!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go back to staring at the cover.

::drool::

No comments:

Post a Comment