Monday, July 4, 2016

An Unexpected Visit - Book Trailer # 1: Inspiration


For each book I want to try something different when it comes to the aspect of marketing. To say having to put on my businessman hat is one that doesn't fit too comfortably is pretty much on point. I'm no marketer. I know the message of my book to sell to readers to get them interested, it's finding the right angle and approach that doesn't tread on becoming overbearing, annoying, and/or off-putting. It's quite the puzzle to solve while trying to remain original and not produce carbon copies of what other authors do to market their books. And in this day where advertisements can be found everywhere, and salespeople are as pushy as ever, my stance is one of remaining low key whenever possible.

With Seeing I filmed a live-action book trailer. With The Painted Lady I did a modest video book teaser and wrote a series of independent micro-stories from different points of view that led into the beginning of the novel, which were posted weekly on this blog and on my site (www.josephfalank.com).

This time, for An Unexpected Visit, I decided to go back to creating a book trailer, but the substance of the trailer is different.

My hope this time is to do a series of book trailers (if possible) that touch on specifics not only involved with the book itself in final form but everything that went into its creation. For instance, in the first trailer, titled "Inspiration," I decided to narrate what gave me the idea for the story and what my intention was while writing it as you get glimpses of the work-in-progress. Maybe you'll find it interesting, or maybe you won't. That's the gamble I'm betting on, so we'll see.

Deciding to narrate wasn't a comfortable bed to sleep in (I don't like hearing my own voice), but I do like the final product of the trailer. Hopefully you will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment